You can install either 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System on a 64-bit Hardware. You check whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems by following steps outlined below:
Method 1 – Checking using the command line
- Log on to computer.
- Go to Command Prompt
- Type "SET Processor" (without double quotes)
- You will see the output similar to below:
- PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86 OR PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x64
Method 2 – Checking using the registry:
- Go to Registry Editor
- Navigate to the following location:
- HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
- In Right Pane, you will see a regitry entry; PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE. This entry stores either x86 or x64.