Embedded World, Nürnberg, GERMANY -- February 13, 2007 --At the Embedded World Exhibition & Conference this week, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced the next step in the evolution of its embedded business-including the addition of Second-Generation AMD Opteron™ processors and AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processors to the AMD64 Longevity Program, plus the release of the new AMD Geode™ [email protected] processor. With a commitment to lowering customers' time to market, AMD is also offering several new Reference Design Kits (RDKs). Spanning high-end to very low power embedded markets, these new AMD solutions are part of a continued focus on delivering a stable, consistent, high-performance architecture for embedded designers.
"Today we are significantly expanding our embedded market support," said Greg White, vice president, Embedded Computing Solutions Division, AMD. "We believe that only AMD can offer embedded designers scalable and powerful, yet energy- and cost-efficient, products and solutions that leverage the most flexible x86 platforms available. Our customer-centric approach to innovation means we offer solutions that not only meet, but also exceed design requirements and performance expectations."
As a testament to the broad adoption of AMD processors by embedded designers and the support of AMD's vision for the future in the embedded market, WIN Enterprises also announced today that it is offering the first Single Board Computer (SBC) embedded design featuring the Second-Generation AMD Opteron processor with DDR2 memory. More information is available at www.win-ent.com.
"WIN Enterprises is excited to be the first AMD embedded industry technology partner to provide a single board computing solution based on the Second-Generation AMD Opteron processor," said Matt Stevenson, Chief Architect of WIN Enterprises. "The use of the processor in embedded designs represents a significant advancement in providing cost-effective, small form factor computing that will serve an ever-widening range of applications."
Expanded Embedded Product Offerings
AMD is dramatically growing it's offerings for high-end embedded markets. The AMD64 Longevity Program makes select AMD64 technology available for a longer-than-standard timeframe and now includes Second-Generation AMD Opteron processors and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core and AMD Athlon 64 processors. These processors are ideal for high-end storage and telecommunications embedded designs, as well as more traditional embedded markets such as security, medical imaging, military systems, single board computing, point-of-sale solutions and gaming. This is in addition to the Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor Model 3500+ and the AMD Turion™ 64 X2 dual-core mobile technology Model TL-52 recently announced in January.
- The Second-Generation AMD Opteron Processor: The leading-edge performance-per-watt of the Second-Generation AMD Opteron processor with Direct Connect Architecture, combined with scalability, reliability and industry-standard features, helps ensure an embedded design that can give customers a long-range plan for the lifecycle of their systems.
- The AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processors: The AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors combine high-performance at low power, with unique features such as the integrated DDR2 memory controller supporting ECC.
Also available today, the new AMD Geode [email protected] processor is the most advanced Geode LX processor for demanding applications. Like the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processors, the AMD Geode LX900 is designed to deliver premium performance with very low total system power. The highly integrated architecture of the AMD Geode LX enables long battery life and small form-factor designs common to thin clients, SBCs, and ultra mobile applications.
New RDK's help decrease time-to-market
Finally today, as part of an ongoing effort to help embedded designers reign in overall costs and speed time-to-market, AMD released three additional RDK's:
- The AMD Geode LX Network Attached Storage (NAS) RDK: This RDK provides companies with the design requirements necessary to develop powerful solutions that help enable sharing of movies, music, and other forms of data while also offering redundancy and security features required for this specific class of devices.
- The AMD Geode LX Ultra Value Clients (UVC) RDK: This fifth-generation RDK combines small form-factor design, x86 application compatibility, and energy efficiency to create a complete product development solution ideal for those designing UVCs, SBCs, point-of-sale devices, thin clients, network appliances, kiosks, and more.
- The AMD Opteron 200 Series processor AdvancedTCA: This RDK is a rugged, NEBS-compliant blade designed with the AMD Opteron 200 series processor with dual-core technology. It is designed to provide a highly configurable and scalable platform for deployment in carrier-grade environments.
AMD customers Advansus, Advantech, ICP, Liteon and WIN Enterprises are already embracing the new AMD embedded solutions, at both the conception and implementation phases of product lifecycles, to innovate at the system level.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit www.amd.com.