Block XP Registration
To use Windows Update, you have register XP. If you want support from Microsoft
without having to give them you private data (name, email, phone, ...), you can
use the following registry hack to fool XP into thinking that XP has been
registered. This is essentially the same hack used in Win98 to block
registration. Don't be confused - this is not blocking Product Activation. This
will only work if you have not installed XP. If you have installed XP and there
is internet connectivity, you already are registered.
- Your PC must not be connected to the network.
- During XP setup answer no when setup asks you to use
Windows Dynamic Update.
Dynamic update connects to Microsoft to register XP.
- Once the installation is completed, reboot to Safe
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Rename %systemroot%\System32\regwizc.dll and %systemroot%\System32\Dllcach\regwizc.dll to regwizc.dll.bka or whatever.
By renaming the regwizc DLL,
it blocks other windows components from registering XP to Microsoft.
- Apply registry hack:
- Change the IE home page to something besides Microsoft's web site.
- Reboot to Normal mode and reconnect your nic card
before the XP Windows GUI loads.