“…There are two main scenarios for the interoperability of Forefront TMG and BranchCache:
- Forefront TMG and BranchCache are deployed on the same host.
For a description of this scenario, see Forefront TMG and BranchCache Hosted Cache deployed on the same host.
- Forefront TMG or ISA 2006 are used as the network gateway to the corporate network, and BranchCache is deployed in either Distributed or Hosted Cache mode.
For a description of this scenario, see Forefront TMG or ISA 2006 deployed as a network gateway.
Branch administrators who want to consolidate multiple networking, access, protection, and caching solutions, on a single host, can deploy Forefront TMG and BranchCache together:
- Forefront TMG provides for the caching of Internet traffic from direct Internet access or an upstream Forefront TMG Proxy located at headquarters.
- BranchCache provides for the caching of line-of-business HTTP/1.1, HTTPS/1.1, BITS, SMB2.1 (including SMB 2.1 signing) applications – even when used with IPsec.
Forefront TMG also provides:
- Secure web-access via anti-malware, URL filtering and HTTPS inspection.
- Firewall and Network Inspection System (NIS).
- Reverse proxy (web-publishing) of web-applications at the branch.
- Site-to-site VPN.
- Roaming-user VPN…”
For the details on TMG and BranchCache interoperability, head on over to
Thomas W Shinder, M.D., MCSE
Sr. Consultant / Technical Writer