Citrix Announces XenClient 2.0 and XenClient XT
Citrix announced the release of XenClient 2.0 and XenClient XT at Citrix Synergy. XenClient is Citrix's bare metal client hypervisor. Citrix is expanding upon the 1.0 release of XenClient to bring type-1 hypervisors to a wider array of hardware devices. Here are some of the new things in XenClient 2:
- Expanded Hardware Compatibility - supports 3x as many laptops and PCs as previous versions, making it an ideal way to deliver virtual desktops "to go" on a broad selection of leading enterprise laptop brands and models. The new release also features support for the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ platform, building on the existing support for Intel's 2010 and 2009 enterprise platforms.
- Expanded Graphics Support - expanded support for Intel® HD Graphics, available on 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors, and introduces support for discrete graphics architectures from AMD including the FirePro™ and Radeon™ series of GPUs.
- Production-scale Synchronizer - helps customers deploy XenClient-enabled laptops across larger and more complex enterprise environments, while still managing all virtual desktops centrally, including full synchronization of user desktops, apps and data with the corporate datacenter.
- Simplified User Experience - Combined with new enhancements to the Citrix Receiver software client, XenClient 2 users will enjoy a simpler, more responsive, more intuitive user experience.
Introducing XenClient XT
- Extreme Desktop Isolation - XenClient XT augments the XenClient hypervisor with hardened components and a unique new network isolation architecture that allows users to run multiple securely isolated local virtual desktops in separate security domains and completely isolated networks, all on a single physical system.
- Extreme Security - provides hardware-assisted security that leverages security capabilities in the Intel Core vPro platform. This includes a trusted boot capability powered by Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) to ensure that XenClient XT is checked against a known good configuration on every boot, ensuring no unauthorized modifications to the system.
- Extreme Performance - capable of running the most graphically and computationally demanding desktop environments without compromise, while ensuring advanced security, isolation and performance.
- Multi-level Desktop Consolidation - allows customers to run a large number of securely isolated desktop computing environments on a single physical system, especially useful for public sector customers who need to work on multiple sensitive contracts and projects simultaneously with full network and desktop isolation.