Citrix committed to running Citrix Synergy 2011 on their suite of virtualization products. However, there was a booth at Citrix Synergy called the “Citrix Desktop Transformation” booth that showcased XenDesktop 5 running 1,000 desktops hosted on Microsoft Hyper-V. Thomas Berger posted a helpful article about some of the lessons learned building and moving such an environment. Thomas points out things like:
- A Hyper-V Cluster requires a Domain Controller to become functional
- SCVMM Tuning for VDI environments
- Creating a template in SCVMM and using it for the XenDesktop Setup Wizard is not as easy as it seems
- XenDesktop Setup Wizard machine creation performance
- The nice and new feature called “Dynamic Memory”
This article was written based on real issues discovered during the trade show setup. Not all of the issues encountered will apply in your environment, but it is great information nonetheless.