HOUSTON » 5/20/2008 » Today at Citrix Synergy™, the event where virtualization, networking and application delivery meet, Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS) announced the immediate availability of Citrix XenDesktop™, the most highly anticipated new product line in company history (see earlier product announcement). The company also revealed previously unannounced details about the complete XenDesktop product line, including the release of a new Express Edition offering free desktop virtualization for up to 10 users, and new Enterprise and Platinum Editions which tightly integrate the industry’s most proven application virtualization via the new XenApp for Virtual Desktops feature. All editions of XenDesktop are optimized to work with the new Citrix Desktop Receiver client to create an unparalleled end user experience (see related announcement today) as well as a wide range of certified Citrix Ready™ hardware and software solutions, creating the industry’s most comprehensive solution for desktop delivery.
“In desktop virtualization environments, separating the applications from the desktop operating system provides IT organizations with greater flexibility, scalability and manageability of the overall desktop delivery solution. It simplifies desktop lifecycle management by consolidating desktops and applications down to just a few standardized images that can be dynamically combined for individual users’ needs,” said Andi Mann, research director, Enterprise Management Associates. “This model combines the cost advantages of server-based computing delivery with the user satisfaction of a personalized desktop experience – both of which are key drivers in the broader adoption of desktop virtualization.”
The complete XenDesktop product line offers customers a choice of five different editions with varying levels of functionality designed to make desktop virtualization a mainstream reality for customers of all sizes and use cases. These editions include:
- Express Edition – free desktop virtualization for up to 10 users.
- Standard Edition – offers a cost-effective, but high performance, entry-level desktop virtualization solution suitable for departmental implementations.
- Advanced Edition – an enterprise desktop virtualization solution for organizations that have an existing application delivery already it place. Advanced Edition adds powerful virtual desktop provisioning capabilities that reduce storage costs and simplify desktop lifecycle management by enabling a single desktop image to dynamically create and update hundreds of virtual desktops on demand.
- Enterprise Edition – comprehensive desktop delivery solution including integrated application delivery. Enterprise Edition adds fully integrated application delivery with XenApp for Virtual Desktops, based on the most proven application virtualization technology in the industry with over 100 million users and 99 percent of the Fortune 500 as customers.
- Platinum Edition – ideal for customers looking to implement desktops as a service from the datacenter. Platinum Edition adds extensive optimization, security, monitoring and end user support benefits to create the ultimate desktop experience and best overall product value. This edition also includes the award-winning Citrix EasyCall™ technology, giving users instant click-to-call capability from any application, as well as a built in on-demand remote assistance feature that allows support staff to see exactly what end users see if a problem occurs, chat with them in real time, and even take permission-based control of the end-user’s mouse and keyboard to walk them through a problem resolution live.
“Today marks an important milestone in the history of Citrix as we celebrate the release of the exciting new XenDestkop product line,” said Gordon Payne, senior vice president and general manager, Delivery Systems Division, Citrix Systems. “Desktop virtualization is a rapidly expanding new market with tremendous upside potential. We believe XenDesktop provides the right combination of economics, ease-of-use and end user experience to make desktop virtualization a practical reality for hundreds of millions of office workers worldwide.”
Desktop Appliances Built for Citrix XenDesktop
To make it easy for customers to deploy pre-certified desktop delivery configurations, Citrix also unveiled a new Desktop Appliance Partner Program™ aimed at establishing trusted standards for desktop appliances, a new class of device that is purpose-built to deliver a superior user experience for virtual desktop delivery. To establish these standards, Citrix worked closely with a wide range of leading hardware and software vendors to develop technical specifications and verification testing procedures designed to ensure the best possible desktop delivery experience through seamless interoperability between XenDesktop and a variety of endpoint devices. Desktop appliances rated Citrix Ready are defined by two levels: Standard and Plus. Devices that achieve the Desktop Appliance Plus certification offer more robust capabilities and performance specifically designed to provide the best user experience – with capabilities such as higher resolution, Instant On, multimedia and peripheral device support. Inaugural members of the Citrix Ready Desktop Appliance Partner program include BOSaNOVA, Chip PC, Computer Lab International, Devon IT, HP, Igel, VXL Itona and Wyse.
“HP collaborated with Citrix in the development of the newly-formed Desktop Appliance program with focus on our HP Compaq t5730 Thin Client, resulting in one of the first XenDesktop ‘Appliance Plus’ rated devices, as well as broad XenDesktop Appliance support across our entire industry-leading thin client portfolio,” said Jeff Groudan, vice president of marketing, HP Desktop Solutions Organization. “As a core component in HP’s desktop to datacenter strategy, we are working with Citrix to lead the market in providing the most comprehensive range of application, server and client virtualization technologies that enable desktop environments that are more secure, affordable, and easier to deploy and manage for our customers.”
“With the general availability of the Wyse Viance family of desktop appliances all of our thin clients are compatible with XenDesktop, and we are the first to offer devices specifically optimized for XenDesktop,” said Jeff McNaught, chief marketing officer for Wyse Technology. “Through our work with Citrix as part of the Citrix Ready Desktop Appliance program, we have ensured our devices achieve the Plus classification, offering the highest levels of user experience when combined with XenDesktop.”
- XenDesktop Express – free download
- XenDesktop Standard – USD $75
- XenDesktop Advanced – USD $195
- XenDesktop Enterprise – USD $295
- XenDesktop Platinum – USD $395