Great post of MSExchange Team about CAS Array object.
The following list is a collection of truths many customers are not aware of when it comes to the CAS array object which I’ll try to demystify. Part 1 will discuss the first three items and l’ll cover the last three items in part 2.
- A CAS array object does not load balance your traffic
- A CAS array object does not service Autodiscover, OWA, ECP, EWS, IMAP, POP, or SMTP
- A CAS array object does not need to be part of your SSL certificate
- A CAS array object should not be resolvable via DNS by external clients
- A CAS array object should not be configured or changed after creating Exchange 2010 mailbox databases and moving mailboxes into the databases
- A CAS array object should be configured even if you only have one CAS or a single multi-role server