Free Tool: VUEM - VirtuAll User Environment Manager
Pierre Marmignon has released VUEM - VirtuAll User Environment Manager. VUEM is an environment management tool for virtual desktops but it can also run on traditional desktops. VUEM works on an agent basis with a centralized database. You configure what you want your agents to do via a graphical management console. Some of the benefits of VUEM include:
- Eliminating login scripts - With VUEM, you can replace all your login scripts with a centrally managed tool, allowing you to manage all actions the most complex script can do and more. VirtuAll User Environment Manager has been designed to provide a new flexible and efficient solution for virtual desktops environment composition. No more scripts to maintain, only a single console managing the user desktop!
- Optimizing user experience - Includes two different agents: the Console Agent, a command line application designed to execute all actions silently and exit after tasks are done (like a standard logon script), and the UI Agent that will execute with a splash screen and stay in memory after tasks are done. The user will be able to call the UI Agent via a systray icon, and this interface will provide additional features and customizations.
- Getting centralized management - With an easy-to-use admin console, gathering all configuration settings, adding a new application shortcut on a specific virtual desktop is now a matter of seconds! All configuration settings are stored in a central Microsoft SQL Database (SQL Server 2000 to 2008 R2, Express Editions supported) ensuring great performance and reliability.
- Improving visibility - VUEM is using a user based log file to trace all actions. To find applied settings at a glance administrators can also use Administration Console Modeling Wizard or user side Resultant Actions Viewer.
VUEM is able to manage a variety of actions, such as:
- Applications Shortcuts
- Network Printers
- Network Drives
- Virtual Drives
- Environment variables
- Registry Values
- Ports (COM/LPT) Mapping
- Ini Files Entry
- External Tasks Execution
- File / Folder Operations
- File Associations Management
- User DSN Creation