One of the most common questions I see in various venues is “how many TMG firewalls will I need for my deployment?”
That’s a good question!
It depends on a lot of things:
- How many users do you have?
- What firewall services do you want to provide?
- Are you doing forward proxy, reverse proxy or both?
- How are you handling authentication?
- What level of application layer inspection are you going to deploy
- And lots more!
You can try to deploy a single firewall and extrapolate from there, using PerfMon to guide your decision. Or you can get a jump start by using the Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 Capacity Planning Tool! Get the tool at:
DEBRA LITTLEJOHN SHINDER
MVP (Enterprise Security)