Proactive network monitoring is the core of any successful Managed Service offering. Being able to know at an instant when one of your clients is experiencing a problem can be critical in maximizing your customer’s confidence that they can count on you to keep their network running at its peak.
The best way to keep a constant eye on your client’s systems is through an RMM (Remote Monitoring and Management) application.
Popular options are offered by GFI Max, Kaseya, N-Able, Zenith Infotech, Labtech among many others.
Some of the features you should be looking for when choosing an RMM application are:
- A Web Accessible Dashboard – By having a web-based dashboard, where you can easily see any problems on the network (backup failures, low disk space, hack attempts, etc), you’ll be able to keep an eye on all of your clients from anywhere you have a connection to the Internet. You can also give your clients viewable access to this dashboard so they can see for themselves how healthy you're keeping their network, boosting their confidence that you’re doing a great job in keeping them safe.
- SMS/Email Alerts- If an error occurs on the server or if an alert is generated in the event logs, you’ll ideally want to know about it before your customer does. Having your RMM app deliver you alerts to your phone via email or SMS message means you’ll always have up to the minute information in your hands.You can also have these messages delivered directly to your client, so they can see for themselves the activity and support needs on the server. This will reinforce the need for having the server monitored, and will keep your clients apprised of how hard diligently you’re working for them.
- Automated Reporting – Sending your clients regular status reports is an excellent way to keep your client informed, as well as keeping the lines of communication between you and your customer open and active. With a good RMM, you’ll be able to automate the sending of these reports on your preferred schedule (daily, weekly or monthly).
- Real-Time Inventory Reporting– Having an up to date inventory is critical for staying on top of deficiencies on the network, and for identifying weaknesses that need your attention. Collecting inventories manually, however is time consuming and dangerous if you slip up and let the inventories become outdated.Many RMM applications provide you and your clients with a real-time inventory report accessible right from the same dashboard you use to monitor for problems. Having this inventory can be very useful when regularly reviewed to find anything that might be outdated, which will help to generate additional, billable projects.
- Brand-able collateral – Being able to brand your RMM dashboard, reports and other marketing collateral can provide a big boost to your company’s overall image and professionalism.
One of the greatest benefits to having a reliable RMM application in your MSP arsenal is that it can be a fantastic marketing tool to help you “seal the deal” with a prospect who might be on the fence about switching to a Managed Service support model.
When you provide a prospect with a free trial of your monitoring service, you’ll have the opportunity to show them exactly just how many errors and problems that might be lurking unnoticed on the network because no one is actively looking for them. If during the course of your trial period, you can uncover issues such as failed backups, AV software that isn’t updating, DNS or other communication problems, security issues, etc., you’ll have an easy time of showing your prospect exactly why not monitoring the network can be so dangerous.
Choosing a reliable RMM application can be one of the most beneficial steps you can take towards improving the reliability of your client’s networks, improving your relationship with your customers and maximizing your profitability.