How to Protect E-mail Confidentiality in Regulated Industries
How to Protect E-mail Confidentiality in Regulated Industries is a security guidance designed for anyone who is responsible for providing e-mail services in a midsize business. The solution in this paper enables different users in a midsize business environment to communicate with each other securely.
This paper will:
- Define the issues faced by regulated industries
- Introduce the concepts of e-mail confidentiality
- Discuss approaches to e-mail confidentiality in regulated industries
- Discuss the need for digital signatures and message encryption in regulated industries
- Develop a working definition of e-mail confidentiality
- Highlight specific examples of e-mail confidentiality breaches
In addition, this paper discusses the benefits of implementing e-mail confidentiality (non-repudiation, confidential e-mail, and security); prerequisites for implementation (PKI, Exchange Server 2003, Office Outlook 2003, service packs, and patches); and ongoing operational conditions (service packs, security patch management, and monitoring).