IRVINE, CA, December 15, 2015 – The everlasting battle between hackers and IT pros very much resembles the war between the light and the dark sides from the Star Wars movies. In view of emerging cyber threats, this beloved space opera franchise is far more than just an epic story about the triumph of good over evil. It can provide guidance for those who must keep all aspects of the IT infrastructure secured. By learning from failure and success of the Republic and its defenders, IT pros can actually develop a better cybersecurity strategy and become their organization’s Jedi Master.
Netwrix Corporation, a provider of software for IT audit that delivers complete visibility into IT infrastructure changes and data access, draws up a Jedi code for IT pros and outlines simple principles that will help to protect companies’ IT environment and tighten up security.
- The Jedi are the guardians of peace in the organization. Just like the Jedi Knights used their power to defend the Republic, IT pros are the peacekeepers who protect the company. Seeking a balance between security solutions and speed of operations, Jedi always stay up-to-date with the latest cybersecurity trends and combine traditional perimeter security tools with advanced protection and threat detection methods.
- Trust, but verify. Indeed,your closest friend may be your worst enemy. The example of Palpatine, who had been abusing trust for years without anyone noticing, confirms the fact that risk of insider misuse is one of the most difficult to assess. Therefore, Jedi should never make the mistake of trusting the trusted, and should pay meticulous attention to users with extended privileges.
- Use knowledge as the most powerful weapon. While the cyber threat landscape rapidly evolves, Jedi have to notice everything that happens within the IT environment. True Jedi are able to extract valuable information from various sources and knit together different events to investigate suspicious activities more quickly and prevent similar incidents from repeating.
- Always cooperate in a battle or crisis. In a general atmosphere of insecurity, a solid team is an important condition to combat any cyber threat. From a decision-making point of view, sharing the responsibility among key people is more effective than concentrating all powers in one set of hands – a lesson that can be learned from the last days of the Republic. At its decline, the Republic was busy fighting internally instead of working together to overcome problems. No wonder adversaries took advantage of every opportunity to establish a completely new world order.
- Calm you shall keep, and carry on you must. No matter how strong your Republic is, you never know where the next threat will come from. IT infrastructure is constantly evolving, along with the methods used by adversaries. Just one unexploited vulnerability may compromise security – a fact confirmed by the unfortunate end of the Republic. Whilst Jedi should hope for the best, they should also plan for the worst and keep calm in any emergency situation, ensuring that critical systems are backed up to prevent a total meltdown.
“Star Wars is not just a cultural phenomenon, it is a story that can be interpreted in many ways, even as a data breach case,” said Michael Fimin, CEO and co-founder of Netwrix. “A fatal combination of weak security policies and trite framework led to the destruction of the Republic, and neither high walls nor bright minds could stop it. Apparently it is not enough to use traditional protective measures to provide the necessary level of security today. To overcome potential vulnerabilities, it is vital to have deep awareness of what is going on across all levels of the organization. Use all of your knowledge to deter an enemy, and may the force be with you!”
About Netwrix Corporation
Netwrix Corporation provides IT auditing software that delivers complete visibility into IT infrastructure changes and data access, including who changed what, when and where each change was made, and who has access to what. Over 150,000 IT departments worldwide rely on Netwrix to audit IT infrastructure changes and data access, prepare reports required for passing compliance audits, and increase the efficiency of IT operations. Founded in 2006, Netwrix has earned more than 70 industry awards and was named to both the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Technology Fast 500 lists of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S. For more information, visit www.netwrix.com.