While reading the You Had Me At EHLO blog, I noticed this new service from Microsoft.
Exchange Labs is a new program from the Microsoft Exchange team, advancing the way we deliver next-generation e-mail and unified communications capabilities. Partnering with the Windows Live @ edu offering, Exchange Labs gives students and alumni access to Exchange-based e-mail: 5 GB mailboxes, secure e-mail, a shared address book, calendars and more! To get up and running with Exchange Labs, see Getting Started with Exchange Labs.
What is it?
As part of Microsoft’s software + services strategy, we are enhancing the way we build, test and deliver Exchange. On October 1, 2007, we announced Exchange Labs, a new program for testing the next version of Exchange in high-scale services environments.
Who can use Exchange Labs?
The initial rollout of Exchange Labs is designed for select schools and universities as part of Windows Live @ edu. Windows Live @ edu “powered by Exchange Labs”, allows these select academic institutions to easily connect students and alumni with e-mail, and integrate these users with existing on-premises Exchange Server deployments that support faculty and staff.
If you are a school, and interested in Exchange Labs for your organization, please see Getting Started with Exchange Labs.
What features are enabled with Exchange Labs today?
For end-users we have:
- Windows Live ID authentication, that can be used with Messenger, Spaces, and all of the other Windows Live services
- Support for the complete Outlook experience: Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Web Access, Outlook Mobile
- Support for the broadest set of 3rd party clients with POP, IMAP, and Exchange Activesync support
- 5 GB of mailbox quotas
- Security with SSL enabled all of the time
- Shared address books and calendars
For school administrators we have:
- Provisioning and administration tools to manage student and alumni accounts
- Ability to integrate on-premises Exchange deployment for faculty and staff, with hosted Exchange Labs for students and alumni