Microsoft releases Virtual Machine Serviceing Tool for offline patch management
Microsoft is extending the functionality of System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) by delivering a connector called Virtual Machine Servicing Tool (VMST) for Hyper-V. VMST 3.0 adds powerful new features designed to streamline the process of keeping your offline virtual machines, templates and VHDs up-to-date with the latest operating system and application updates.
Some of the new features of VMST 3.0 include:
- Offline virtual machines in a SCVMM library.
- Stopped and saved state virtual machines on a host.
- Virtual machine templates.
- Offline virtual hard disks in a SCVMM library by injecting update packages.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 fail-over clusters running Hyper-V.
VMST 3.0 is designed to work with Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2008 or SCVMM 2008 R2, and with the following technologies:
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 SP1 or WSUS 3.0 SP2.
- System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 SP1, SCCM 2007 R2, or SCCM 2007 SP2.
- VMST 3.0 also provides the option to manually copy updates to service offline VHDs.
- The tool works with Windows Task Scheduler to enable scheduling the servicing job.