Outlook Mobile Service is a new feature in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 that you use to create and send text messages as well as multimedia messages to a mobile device from within Outlook in a manner similar to e-mail messages.
Outlook Mobile Service features
- Complete integration with Outlook - After it is installed, Outlook Mobile Service becomes a part of Outlook, with options for mobile messages available along with the options for e-mail messages. The mobile messages that you send will be saved in your Sent Items folder, just like the e-mail messages that you send. The mobile messages that you receive will be sent to your Inbox if you want them to be, just like regular e-mail messages. You can also save mobile messages in the Drafts folder for later use.
- Mobile text and multimedia messages sent directly from your computer - Outlook Mobile Service helps you create text and multimedia messages on your computer. Type the message that you want, add pictures or sounds to your multimedia message if you want, and preview the message before you send it.
- E-mail messages, reminders, and calendar summaries forwarded to your mobile phone - You can configure your Outlook Mobile Service account to forward e-mail messages and calendar appointments to your mobile phone when you are away from the office.
- Both e-mail and mobile messages sent at the same time - With Outlook Mobile Service, you can send a message to mobile phones and e-mail addresses at the same time. The message will be sent as a mobile message to the mobile phones and as an e-mail message to the e-mail addresses. There is no need to send the message twice.
- A new mobile address book - A mobile address book that lists information about your mobile contacts is created when you create an Outlook Mobile Service account. Contacts with mobile phone number information in your Outlook Address Book will be added to this address book automatically.
- AutoResolve contacts - If you enter partial names when sending a mobile message, the AutoResolve feature will search for the contacts that match your entry and complete them.
- Right now it looks like only US providers are available, but be sure to visit regularly the OMS Hosting Providers, maybe they'll expand the service to Europe.