The Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) tool reads a performance monitor counter log and analyzes it using known thresholds. The tool generates an HTML based report that graphically charts important performance counters and throws alerts when thresholds are exceeded. The thresholds are originally based on thresholds defined by the Microsoft product teams, including Exchange Server, and members of Microsoft support.
This tool is not a replacement of traditional performance analysis, but it automates the analysis of performance counter logs enough to help administrators save time. The PAL tool:
- Analyzes performance counter logs for thresholds;
- Is helpful for large Perfmon logs;
- Identifies Exchange Server (2007 and 2010 – no 2013 as of yet) and operating system performance counter bottlenecks by analyzing for thresholds;
- Is extensible to do analysis on any performance counters;
- Can be used to help write your own counter.
PAL is available as a free download at CodePlex. It requires PowerShell v2.0 or greater, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.