As you probably know, Exchange Server 2007 is the first Microsoft product to take full advantage of Windows PowerShell. Exchange 2007 includes the Exchange Management Shell, an extended version of PowerShell and every action available through the GUI is also available through the Exchange Management Shell.
With the release of Windows Vista, Microsoft released also the installation packages for the new operating system:
- Windows PowerShell 1.0 Installation Package for Windows Vista (KB928439)
- Windows PowerShell 1.0 Installation Package for Windows Vista x64 Edition (KB928439)
Microsoft Windows PowerShell is a new command-line shell and scripting language designed for system administration and automation. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell allows IT professionals to manage computers via commands or scripts, improving productivity through system automation.
Windows PowerShell includes:
- One hundred and twenty-nine command-line tools (called “cmdlets”) for performing common system administration tasks, such as managing services, processes, event logs, certificates, the registry, and using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
- Command-line tools are easy to learn and easy to use with standard naming conventions and common parameters, and simple tools for sorting, filtering, and formatting data and objects.
- Support for existing scripting languages and existing command-line tools, and multiple versions of Windows, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista and Windows Server code name “Longhorn”.
- Feature that allows users to navigate data stores, like the registry and certificate stores, as if they were a file system.
- Standard utilities for managing Windows data in different stores and formats, including Active Directory (ADSI), Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), Component Object Model (COM) objects, Active X Data Objects (ADO), HTML and XML.
- Sophisticated expression parsing and .NET object manipulation at the command line, including pipelining of objects, make IT professionals more efficient and productive.
- Extensible interface that allows independent software vendors and enterprise developers to build custom cmdlets to meet their unique application and system administration requirements.