If you ever get users complaining about any of the following cases, please note that to resolve it all you have to do is add/update a registry key on the user's PC:
· when I delete an e-mail from the shared mailbox I manage, the e-mail goes into my Deleted Items folder instead of the folder in the shared mailbox;
· when I send an e-mail as (SendAs) the shared mailbox I manage, the e-mail goes into my Sent Items folder instead of the folder in the shared mailbox.
The following applies to Outlook 2007:
Change the Sent Behaviour
1. Open the Registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences\
2. Look for the DelegateSentItemsStyle DWORD (if it doesn’t exist, create it)
3. Set the value to 1
4. Restart Outlook
Now any e-mails sent from that shared mailbox (again, when using SendAs permissions) will go into the Sent Items folder of the shared mailbox.
IMPORTANT: After you set the DelegateSentItemsStyle registry value to 1, the functionality is only available when the Exchange account is set to Use Cached Exchange Mode. The DelegateSentItemsStyle registry value will not work consistently on an Exchange account that is configured in Online mode...
Change the Deleted Behaviour
1. Open the Registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\General
2. Look for the DelegateWastebasketStyle DWORD (if it doesn’t exist, create it)
3. Change its value to
a. 8 - Stores deleted items in your folder
b. 4 - Stores deleted items in the shared mailbox folder
4. Restart Outlook
Now any e-mails deleted from that shared mailbox will go into the Deleted Items folder of the shared mailbox.
IMPORTANT: make sure that the delegate user has at least Author level rights for the Deleted Items folder of the owner's mailbox. If the delegate does not have these rights, and this registry option is set to 4, then either the item is deleted permanently or the user receives an error message.