SolarWinds Adds Server Hardware Health, Real-Time Process Monitoring, and IPv6 Support to its Flagship Server & Application Monitoring Product
SolarWinds Application Performance Monitor is now Server & Application Monitor
AUSTIN, Texas – March 7, 2012 – SolarWinds® (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, announced today the release of Server & Application Monitor v. 5.0 (SAM), formerly known as Application Performance Monitor (APM). The latest version of the product introduces several exciting features including a server hardware health monitor, the Real-Time Process Explorer, and support for IPv6.
“The purpose of every SolarWinds systems management product is to enable IT professionals to do their jobs faster and with less effort, all at a more affordable price,” Denny LeCompte, vice president of product management at SolarWinds, said. “Every new feature in SAM started as a user request on thwack, our online community, and we have made improvements in the product to meet our customers’ needs.”
The new name more accurately reflects the product’s focus on monitoring server and application health and performance. Server & Application Monitor is a comprehensive server and application management product that enables monitoring of Windows, Unix, and Linux servers. It provides visibility into the performance of critical IT services, the underlying application components, and the operating system and server resources on which they run.
New features in version 5 include:
· A server hardware health monitor that provides alerts on server fan speed, power supply status, and more hardware health indicators for vendors such as Hewlett-Packard (HP) ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge, IBM X Series, and VMware Hosts
· The Real-Time Process Explorer, which monitors processes real-time performance statistics like CPU, memory, virtual memory, and disk I/O in real time to diagnose and troubleshoot server performance issues quickly
· Support for IPv6
· More than 30 new and updated out-of-the-box server and application monitoring templates
SAM benefits for sysadmins:
· Comprehensive server and application coverage (email, Active Directory, Java, database, hardware, etc.), which eliminates the need for multiple monitoring products
· Easy-to-use, customizable dashboards and reports for viewing trends, capacity, and performance
· Expert Templates that provide best practices information into which statistics should be monitored and why, as well as optimal thresholds
· Business service views and alerts that can be configured for fast root-cause analysis
“We’re excited about the new hardware monitoring features of SAM 5.0; as soon as we check the box to monitor our hardware, we can extend the notification and alerting to our server desk application and immediately notify staff if a failure takes place,” Jed Krisch, manager of technical services, Carilion Clinic, said. “With Real-Time Process Monitoring, we can see what’s going on with the server over time. If there’s a process using a lot of resources that we aren’t already monitoring, we can start capturing historical data with just a few clicks. This just wasn’t possible with other products we tried.”
SolarWinds SAM is one of five key products in the SolarWinds systems management product portfolio. Together, these products address the troubleshooting, patch management, and performance monitoring needs of the system administrator. This portfolio also includes Synthetic End User Monitor (SeUM) and three new products: Patch Manager, DameWare NT Utilities, and DameWare Mini Remote Control.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing for SolarWinds SAM starts at $2,495. For more information, visit the SolarWinds website, download a free 30-day evaluation trial, or call 866.530.8100.