Spiceworks IT Desktop Version 4.6 Provides More Granular Management Control of Desktops and Servers for 900,000 IT Professionals WorldwideAUSTIN, Texas – March 24, 2010 – Spiceworks™, Inc. today announced the release of a new version of its free IT management software that includes features designed to help IT professionals better manage their computers, networked devices and software. The latest additions include the ability to remotely inventory and monitor virtualized machines and manage server and desktop processes. These and other capabilities of the Spiceworks IT Desktop are designed to better support the added complexity that new technologies and services bring to the networks of small and medium businesses. Version 4.6 of the Spiceworks IT Desktop is now available for download at http://www.spiceworks.com.
“Almost half of all small and medium businesses use virtualization technology, and that number is only expected to grow in the coming year,” said Scott Abel, co-founder and CEO of Spiceworks. “We’re helping to support this trend by giving IT pros the ability to manage virtualized machines free of charge, while providing them with the other IT tools they need to manage their networks and do their jobs.”
Spiceworks is enabling ‘Social IT’ by combining systems and network management software with a rapidly growing and active Facebook-like community of IT professionals. Organizations of all sizes use the free Spiceworks IT Desktop software and integrated online community to collaborate with each other and support the management of their IT networks and services. New feature highlights of version 4.6 of the Spiceworks IT Desktop include:
- Virtualized Server and Desktop Management – enables businesses to remotely discover and monitor VMWare ESX/ESXi & vSphere virtualized servers. This includes the ability to monitor whether or not a VM is running and the amount of RAM and hard drive space the VM is using. In addition, it provides a full inventory and configuration of the virtual device.
- Remote Process Management – allows administrators to remotely view and kill desktop and server processes, which shortens troubleshooting time and eliminates time-consuming in-person desktop and server visits.
- Network Map for Wireless Networked Devices – now supports Cisco wireless access points (WAPs) allowing users to view and diagram network bandwidth, traffic information and the devices connected to WAPs.
- Integrated CDW Search – enables users to search for products from CDW directly through the Spiceworks IT Desktop saving valuable time when working on help desk tickets or expanding the network.
- Integrated Power Management – based on the popularity of the Power Manager plug-in sponsored by Intel, the Power Management plug-in is now integrated with all Spiceworks deployments, further extending the potential impact of power savings and the “greening” of IT networks worldwide.
With more than 900,000 users in 196 countries, the Spiceworks IT Desktop is the most widely deployed and fastest growing IT management application in the world. Currently more than 35 percent of all businesses with greater than 100 employees rely on Spiceworks to manage their IT operations. The Spiceworks user community supports 30 million employees, manages 51 million computers and devices, and spends over $155 billion annually on technology products and services.
More information on Spiceworks can be found at http://www.spiceworks.com. Follow Spiceworks on Twitter: http://twitter.com/spiceworks. Connect with Spiceworks on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spiceworks/15382903707.
Founded in 2006, Spiceworks™ develops the first free social business application that combines systems and network management software with an online community of IT professionals to help over 900,000 IT pros and 85,000 managed service providers (MSPs) simplify everything IT. Spiceworks makes it easy for businesses to manage their networks, collaborate to solve technology problems, and find the best practices, products and services they need day-to-day. Through its Voice of IT® market research program, the company enables direct conversations with IT professionals, conducts surveys and provides insight on important technology usage, staffing and purchasing trends by small and medium businesses worldwide. Spiceworks is a privately held company headquartered in Austin, Texas with funding from Institutional Venture Partners (IVP), Austin Ventures and Shasta Ventures. For more information, visit www.spiceworks.com.