System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 features
At TechEd Europe, Microsoft announced some of the upcoming features in System Center Virtual Machine Manager. Some of the new features include:
- Support for Citrix XenServer (5.6? 6.0?) and VMware ESX 4.1
- Hyper-V remote deployment on bare-metal - A new server will boot from PXE, download a WinPE image, download a VHD, join a domain and install the Hyper-V role all automated and orchestrated from SCVMM 2012.
- Dynamic Optimization (DO) - Automatic/Manual workloads balancing across Hyper-V hosts in a cluster, without System Center Operation Manager (SCOM). It will compete with VMware Distribute Resource Scheduler (DRS)
- Enhanced Placement - New 100 checks and validations used by the workload placing algorithm, including manual rules to detail inter-VMs dependencies, defined by the administrator. It will compete with the VMware DRS affinity rules.
- Power Management - Hyper-V hosts will be powered off using DO and Live Migration in case of low hardware utilization. It will compete with VMware Distributed Power Management (DPM).
- Administration Delegation