Third-party OEM device drivers or services can cause:
- Windows 2000 hangs at shutdown leaving you with a black screen.
- Windows 2000 hangs or fails to power off after reaching the screen:
It is now safe to turn off your computer
- The Standby option is missing when you try to shut down your computer.
- In Standby mode, the computer hangs (you may or may not receive a Stop 0x9F error message.
- The Hibernate option is missing when you try to shut down and there is no
Hibernate tab in the Power Options tool in Control Panel.
Any or all these problems can be caused by a driver or service that is not
completely Windows 2000 compatible. Microsoft has released a fairly
comprehensive kb article on troubleshooting these issues. See:
There are many related links referenced within the kb article.