Unitrends Breaks the 100 TB Barrier with New Physical Backup and Recovery Appliances for the Enterprise Market
BURLINGTON, Mass. – August 19, 2015 – Unitrends, a leader in enterprise-level cloud recovery, today announced the availability of its highest capacity, most advanced physical backup and recovery appliances to date, the Recovery-944S and Recovery-946S. The new appliances feature Release 8.2, the latest version of the data protection software powering Unitrends Recovery-Series™ family of physical backup appliances, Unitrends Enterprise Backup™ virtual appliances, and Unitrends Cloud. Delivering enhanced Adaptive Data Deduplication with dedupe acceleration, Release 8.2 allows the Recovery-944S and the Recovery-946S to scale beyond 100 TB while maintaining the performance necessary to quickly and cost-effectively backup and recover high volumes of data.
With these new offerings, Unitrends is challenging the status quo for large-scale backup and recovery, giving enterprises the ability to consolidate multiple systems into one physical device – without sacrificing capabilities or performance. Organizations can now substantially reduce capital and operating expenditures by leveraging one appliance to back up more than 100 TBs of data as well as boost efficiencies with a single point of management.
“We are disrupting the market for large capacity data protection solutions, building on our award-winning all-in-one backup appliances, by delivering even higher performance at a lower total cost of ownership,” said Kevin Weiss, Unitrends’ president and chief executive officer. “Recovery-944S and Recovery-946S enable enterprises to achieve the simplicity they seek, protecting more data while also streamlining their infrastructure. These breakthrough hybrid cloud appliances redefine the economics of safeguarding large-scale physical and highly virtualized environments.”
Optimized for the Next Level of Data Protection
The Recovery-944S and Recovery-946S are the company’s highest capacity and best performing all-in-one, purpose-built physical backup appliances (PBBAs). Powered by Release 8.2, the solutions provide the optimized memory, storage and processors necessary for large-scale backup and recovery. With the capability to back up 25 data streams, the appliances meet the diverse corporate data protection and workload demands of organizations managing up to thousands of virtual machines (VMs). The Recovery-944S offers 122 TB of raw storage capacity and a suggested backup capacity of 61 TB given typical industry usage rates, while the Recovery-946S contains 182 TB of raw storage capacity with a suggested backup capacity of 91 TB given typical industry usage rates.
Key features of the new appliances include:
- Enhanced Adaptive Data Deduplication – Made possible by Release 8.2, this advanced deduplication technology provides:
- Dedupe Acceleration – In-memory hashing improves replication performance for large stored data sizes by up to 100%.
- Inline Deduplication – Deduplication on ingest prior to writing to disk; reduces capacity requirements by as much as 95%.
- VMware Source Side Deduplication – Deduplicates data before sending over the network to backup target.
- In-place Synthesis - Creates synthetic backups 5-10x faster from memory, freeing up critical backup resources while ensuring consistently fast recovery, backup, replication and archive.
- vSphere 6.0 support – Supports the newest features of this latest version of the hypervisor.
- 480 GBS of Flash Memory – Improves the ability to implement policies around flash cache usage to optimize performance as data grows and prevents performance degradation.
- Dual Intel Gen 3 E5 Xeon CPUs – Powerful processor and DDR4 memory for faster processing and improved performance.
- Dual 12Gb/s Drive Busses – Increased bandwidth/throughput to backup drives; results in multi-stream performance benefits from higher drive bandwidth and multiple busses.
Unitrends Recovery-944S and Recovery-946S are the latest additions to the Unitrends Recovery-Series family of cloud enabled physical backup appliances, now comprised of 14 models. To learn more about Recovery-Series please visit: http://www.unitrends.com/products/physical-appliances/recovery-series.
Unitrends will also host a complimentary webinar for enterprises interested in getting a “first look” at how the new Recovery-Series 944S and 946S appliances can provide unmatched data protection and business continuity and help recover more than just data. Visit http://go2.unitrends.com/firstlook944_946 to register for the event, taking place Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 11 a.m. ET.
Unitrends delivers award-winning business recovery solutions for any IT environment. The company’s portfolio of virtual, physical and cloud solutions provides adaptive protection for organizations globally. To address the complexities facing today’s modern data center, Unitrends delivers end-to-end protection and instant recovery of all virtual and physical assets as well as automated disaster recovery testing built for virtualization. With the industry’s lowest total cost of ownership, Unitrends’ offerings are backed by a customer support team that consistently achieves a 98 percent satisfaction rating. Unitrends’ solutions are also sold through a community of thousands of leading technology partners, service providers and resellers worldwide. Visit www.unitrends.com.