Yesterday I was listening to the vBrownBag recording of VMware DRaaS (Disaster-Recovery-as-a-Service) from Chris Colotti. This is a new vCHS (vCloud Hybrid Services) offering, which is subscription based. I haven’t had the chance to actually use it yet but the more I hear about the more I want to try it.
- Inexpensive alternative to full blown vCHS subscription
- Able to buy one month at a time
- Schedule test failovers with VMware – team is ready to help with any support issues
- Uses vSphere Replication – no need to purchase expensive replicating solutions
- Possible to seed the storage using NAS from VMware
- Small foot print for virtual appliance that handles the vSphere Replication
- As low as 15 minute RPO
- No need to purchase hardware for colocation
It’s definitely tech worth checking out if you’re a smaller company looking for a DR solution…or even a larger company looking for tier 2 DR.