Verifying DNS Server Configuration Using the DNS Console
You can use the DNS console to verify the configuration of your DNS server by performing test queries against it. To do this, perform the following steps:
1. Open the DNS console on a computer that has RSAT installed and connect to your DNS server.
2. Right-click the DNS server node and select Properties.
3. Select the Monitoring tab on the DNS server’s properties sheet.
4. Select the check boxes for the types of queries you want to test and click Test Now.
5. You can also configure automatic testing periodically as indicated.
For more information on managing DNS servers, see my book Windows Server 2008 Server Core Administrator's Pocket Consultant from Microsoft Press.