Windows PowerShell V2 Community Technology Preview 3 (CTP3) is available to download from the Microsoft site.
Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3 introduces several significant features to Windows PowerShell 1.0 and Windows PowerShell V2 CTPs that extends its use, improves its usability, and allows you to control and manage the Windows environment more easily and comprehensively.
Use the Download link on this page to download the installation package for the Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3. Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3 introduces several significant features to Windows PowerShell 1.0 and Windows PowerShell V2 CTPs that extends its use, improves its usability, and allows you to control and manage the Windows environment more easily and comprehensively.
- This software is a pre-release version and should not be deployed in a production environment. It will not work the way a final version of the software does. Features will change before final release.
- Many features introduced in previous CTPs were modified based upon customer feedback. If your scripts used those features, they may have to be modified to run properly. A list of the changes is provided in the Release Notes.
- This CTP3 release is designed to provide a preview of key V2 features to the community and solicit feedback about them.
- Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3 release is compatible with and replaces previous versions of Windows PowerShell. To install the Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3 release you must uninstall any previous version of Windows PowerShell.
- Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3 uses the execution policy setting from the previous installation, if present. The Windows PowerShell installer does not remove or change the execution policy when you uninstall Windows PowerShell.
- In Windows PowerShell V2 CTP, the WS-Management-based remoting features work correctly only on Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and on Windows Server 2008. These remoting features will not work on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 in this release.
- Windows PowerShell background jobs (jobs) rely on the remoting features of Windows PowerShell V2. To use jobs, Windows PowerShell remoting must be enabled, even if the job runs only on the local computer.
Selected New and Updated Features in Windows PowerShell V2 CTP3
(Please refer to Release Notes and Help topics for more details)
- PowerShell Remoting
- Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE)
- 63 New Cmdlets
- Script Debugging
- Advanced Functions
- PowerShell Class API
After you install this product, you might have to restart your computer.
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 3
- This release of Windows PowerShell installs on x86 and x64 platforms of Windows XP-SP3, Windows Server 2003-SP2, Windows Vista-SP1, and Windows Server 2008.
- Requires .NET Framework Version 2.0
- Requires WinRM 2.0 CTP3 to use remoting features.
- Requires .NET Framework 3.5.1 to use Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE) and Out-GridView.
- The Get-WinEvent, Get-Counter and Import-Counter cmdlets work only on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Additionally, Get-WinEvent requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.