Windows Server Backup and New Features In Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 uses a new model for Backup/Restore process. It includes a new tool called Windows Server Backup. This tool is used by all the roles and features for backup/restore purpose. The below is the list of new features in Windows Server Backup.
- Windows Server Backup cannot take System State Backup without taking the Full Backup.
- Backup Settings are not preserved if upgraded from previous versions of Windows.
- Tape backups are not longer supported with Windows Server Backup Tool.
- Previous backups cannot be restored using the Windows Server Backup Tool. You must download the NTBackup.exe tool from Microsoft site which can be used to restore the previous backups created using NTBackup.exe.
- Windows Server Backup is integrated with VSS now.
- Restore individual items.
- You can schedule the backups using WSB tool
- Remotely manage backups using Windows Server Backup Tool. You need to add RSAT
- Automatic Disk Management for backup process. If target drive runs out of space, the backup tool automatically deletes the old backups.
- Command line support. Use WBADMIN.exe to take backup.
- Windows Server Tool allows you to take backup on DVD Media.
- Backup extension is .VHD file.
- Backup snap-in is not available in Server Core and Standard Edition installation.