A Quick Tip to make sure Adprep /ForestPrep for Windows Server 2008 has run successfully
Adprep /ForestPrep must be executed to introduce a Windows Server 2008 in an existing Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 domain environment. Adprep /ForestPrep for Windows Server 2008 extends the schema and sets the “ObjectVersion” attribute to 44 in schema if Adprep ran successfully.
To check objectVersion:
- Install LDP.exe from Support Tools on a DC running Windows 2000 or Windows 2003.
- Run LDP.exe, go to Connection and then click on Bind.
- Click Ok. Next click on View, Tree and then select the following LDAP path from the dropdown list: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com
- Click Ok to run the LDP query against the above LDAP Path.
- In Right Pane, check objectVersion: 44 attribute. If it is 44 Admin /ForestPrep was run successfully!