Configuring ISA on SBS 2000 to provide secure Internet connection to ISP over PPTP Dialup (ADSL). - Revised
This article was revised on 15/7/2002 to remove non essential information, and include very essential information.
1. Create a VPN connection and verify you can use it to open a connection
2. Create a "Virtual" (fake) modem (Even if one is not installed on the Server).
3. Use SBS 2000 server's Internet Connection Wizard" to configure Internet access
4. Create a Dial-up entry in the ISA server for the ADSL connection.
5. "Switch" the fake model Dial-Up with the ADSL Dial-Up in the ISA Server.
6. Install Service Pack 1 for ISA server.
Use the following procedures
1. Stop the ISA server services so they will not interfere with a manual connection to the Internet Service Provider (ISP), and create a VPN connection to the ISP. In order to do so, enter "Services" and stop the "Microsoft ISA Server Control". Stopping the service will prompt you to stop ISA's additional Services, confirm it.
a. Install two network adapter cards on the server (to allow NAT).
b. Keep the LAN adapter as it was first configured with the IP address
c. Configure the properties of the network adapter card which connects to the ADSL modem
d. Important !!!
e. Create a VPN connection dialer to your ISP.
2. Create a fake modem dialup entery in "Network and dialup connections". You do not need to have a modem to do so. If you create the dialup entry without a modem, you will see a red X on the dialup entry. This is OK.
3. Configure Internet Access using "Internet Connection Wizard".
4. Create a Dial-up entry in the ISA server for the ADSL connection
Use the Small Business Server Administrator Console, and expand the ISA Server Snap in:
5. The Following screen will appear:
Note that the Fake dialup is marked green. Right click the Dialup connection to the ISP, and select "Set as active Entry".
6. Install ISA Server Service Pack 1 in order to protect your network. Service Pack 1 should contain a fix that enables the packet filters on the VPN connection to the ISP. To download the Service Pack, use this link http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/downloads/sp1.asp