Deploying Printers using Group Policy
To deploy shared printers to multiple client computers in a domain environment, the fastest method is using a Group Policy. Follow these steps:
- In Server Manager, select Roles\Print and Document Services\Print Management\Print Servers\<Server Name>\Printers and in the details pane, right-click the printer, and then choose Deploy with Group Policy. - if the Print and Document Services node is not available, add the Print and Document Services by right clicking Roles, selecting Add Roles and follow the wizard using default settings.
- In the Deploy with Group Policy dialog box, click the browse button to select the Group Policy object (GPO) that you want to use. Then, click ok.
- To deploy the printer to all users who log on to a particular computer, select the The Computers That This GPO Applies To check box. To deploy the printer to specific users regardless of which computers they log on to, select the The Users That This GPO Applies To check box. You can select both check boxes to deploy the printer using both the Computer Configuration and User Configuration nodes in a GPO.
Click the Add button to add the GPO to the list, as shown below:
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to deploy the printer to additional GPOs
- Click ok.
- Click ok to conform that the printers were successfully added to the GPO, and then click ok again to close the Deploy With Group Policy dialog box.