A registry entry or branch may be corrupted because of mis-configuration or virus attack. There are various to recover from this. However, the easiest way I have found is mentioned below:
Let's say a registry key on domain controller; HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services has been corrupted. Its not opening or contains mis-configured values. You can use the below mentioned methods to recover from this:
Method 1 – Use NTBackup in DSRM Mode to restore System State Backup on problematic domain controller.
Method 2 – Copy the registry branch from a working Domain Controller of the same domain.
- Open Registry Editor on a working domain controller of that domain.
- Navigate the above registry location > Right Click on Services and export and save it as Services.REG.
- Go to probalematic Domain Controller.
- Copy Services.REG to C:\ or Desktop of Domain Controller.
- Finally, double click on it.
- Restart problematic Domain Controller.