HP and Microsoft to Partner on Windows Azure Built on HP Converged Infrastructure
PALO ALTO, Calif., July 12, 2010 - HP and Microsoft today announced their intention to work together on a Microsoft Windows Azure platform appliance that will enable large enterprise customers to confidently and rapidly adopt cloud-based applications as businesses needs change and grow.
The companies will work together to deliver a complete hardware, software, services and sourcing solution that will accelerate customers' transition to the Windows Azure platform. Customers will be able to manage the appliance with HP Converged Infrastructure on-premises or choose HP data center hosting services.
Enterprise customers adopting cloud services need a comprehensive approach, including application modernization support, an optimized infrastructure platform as well as flexible sourcing options. With the new Windows Azure platform appliance, HP and Microsoft will help customers rapidly scale applications, deliver new online services and migrate Windows and .NET-based applications to the cloud. This latest collaboration extends the $250 million Infrastructure-to-Application initiatives HP and Microsoft announced in January and will result in HP delivering:
- Data center hosting services – HP Enterprise Services will combine deep systems management expertise, standardized processes and world-class secure data centers to manage the Windows Azure platform appliances for HP customers. HP and Microsoft plan to release a limited production Windows Azure platform appliance for deployment in HP data centers by the end of the year.
Converged Infrastructure for Windows Azure – HP's current position as a primary infrastructure provider for the Windows Azure platform, coupled with HP and Microsoft's ongoing efforts to optimize Microsoft applications for HP's Converged Infrastructure through extensive joint engineering and development, will allow HP to deliver an industry-leading cloud deployment experience for its customers. The Converged Infrastructure for the Windows Azure platform appliance will include:
- HP Networking, which delivers to customers a flexible network fabric that is simpler, higher-performing and more secure, at up to 65 percent lower cost of ownership than competitive solutions.(1)
- HP ProLiant servers, which are highly dense, highly scalable computing platforms that help customers speed application delivery, better utilize IT resources and achieve strong returns on investments.
- The appliance can be deployed in HP Performance-Optimized Datacenters (PODs), which deliver improved power and data center capacity as well as rapid data center expansion. HP PODs allow customers to increase capacity without the capital expense of brick-and-mortar construction. They will be used in addition to traditional data center deployments.
- Application modernization, migration and integration services for Windows applications – HP's expertise in complex environments, specific industries, frameworks, processes and resources will help customers modernize, migrate and integrate their applications while balancing costs and speed when adopting the Windows Azure platform.
"Customers want to refocus their resources in managing their business and out-task IT processes like software acquisition and maintenance," said Sean Kenny, senior vice president, Worldwide Applications and Business Process Outsourcing, HP Enterprise Services. "HP is the only technology company that can combine the Windows Azure platform with the industry's best people, processes and Converged Infrastructure technology to remove the complexity of migrating applications to the cloud."
"Microsoft and HP will align engineering, sales and professional services to provide enterprise customers a full-range of cloud services and technologies where they want it and how they want it," said Bob Muglia, president of Server and Tools Business, Microsoft Corp. "By adopting the Windows Azure platform appliance, customers will have a clear path to adopt a proven cloud platform that integrates with their existing investments and expertise. The Windows Azure platform appliance will provide customers with a turn-key solution to address new business scenarios that require rapid scaling of applications and deliver services that are predictable, immediately consumable and more cost effective."