Migrating Printers in Windows Server 2008
Moving services from server to another is an extensive job, especially if a resource has a long list of items to move such as, a long list of printers. With Virtualization migrating resources has been simplified in a way, however, some specific tasks remain the same. That is, they don't benefit from available tools at the virtualization layer. When performing a migration of a print server from one computer to another or copying the same printers to multiple computers you can export the list of printers and drivers from an existing print server and then import them into the new server. The steps below show how to migrate all configuration settings including Active Directory properties if the printers are published in AD.
You can export print queues and settings to a file as follows:
- Go to Server Manager, right click Print Management and then select Migrate Printers – you should get the Printer Migration wizard.
- From the Getting started with printer migration page, select Export printer queues and printer drivers to a file, click Next.
- From the Select a print server page, select a server and then click Next.
- From the Review the list of items to be exported page, click Next.
- From the Select the file location page, type a filename and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
Additionally, you can try the command-line tool printbrm. To get a full list of options type printbrm /?