Designed to eliminate application conflicts and streamline management, VMware® ThinApp® simplifies application virtualization and reduces the cost and complexity of application delivery. As a key component of the Horizon Suite, ThinApp adds application compatibility to the virtual workspace and helps to reduce the management burden of provisioning, patching and updating applications and images.
VMWare ThinApp virtualizes applications by encapsulating application files and registry into a single ThinApp package that can be deployed, managed and updated independently from the underlying operating system (OS). The virtualized applications do not make any changes to the underlying OS and execute across different configurations for compatibility, consistent end-user experiences and ease of management.
How is ThinApp Used?
- Simplify Windows 7 migration – Use ThinApp to easily migrate legacy applications such as Internet Explorer 6 to 32- and 64- bit Windows 7 systems. ThinApp enables you to eliminate costly recoding, regression testing and support costs.
- Eliminate application conflicts – Isolate desktop applications from each other and from the underlying OS to avoid conflicts. For example, you can run Internet Explorer 6 seamlessly on Windows 7 alongside newer IE browsers.
- Consolidate Session-based servers – Enable application streaming with user personalization to the ‘compute’ layer execute on Microsoft RDSH or Citrix XenApp servers.
- Reduce storage costs – Leverage ThinApp as a component of the Horizon Suite to reduce storage costs and streamline updates to endpoints.
- Augment security policies – Deploy ThinApp packages on “locked-down” PCs and allow end users to run their favorite applications without compromising security.
- Increase mobility for end users – Deploy, maintain and update virtualized applications on USB flash drives for ultimate portability
Agentless Application Virtualization
- Agentless architecture – Designed for fast deployment and ease of management, ThinApp requires no agent code or installation on target devices.
- Complete application isolation – Package entire applications and their settings into a single executable that runs independently on any endpoint, allowing multiple versions or multiple applications to run on the same device without any conflict.
- Built-in security – Application packages run only in user mode, so end users have the freedom to run their preferred applications on locked-down PCs securely.
Fast, Flexible Application Packaging
- Package once, deploy to many – Package an application once and deploy it to desktops (physical or virtual) running Windows XP, Windows Vista or 7, Windows 8 or 8.1.
- Three-step setup capture – Use a three-step process for pre- and post-installation system states. This simplifies application packaging and supports applications that require a reboot during the installation process.
- ThinApp Converter – ThinApp works with VMware vSphere®, VMware ESX® and VMware Workstation images to convert installed applications to ThinApp packages. Using the command-line interface, you can automate application conversion and management
Fast, Flexible Application Delivery
- Application link – Configure relationships among virtualized applications, plug-ins, service packs and even runtime environments such as Java and .NET.
- Application sync – Automatically apply updates over the Web to applications on unmanaged PCs and devices.
- Support for USB drives and thin clients – Deploy, maintain and update applications on USB storage drives and thin client terminals.
- Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.1 support – Deploy legacy applications on 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 and 8.1 systems and streamline application migration by avoiding costly, time-consuming recoding and regression testing.
- VMware Horizon Workspace Integration – Manage and deploy applications packaged with ThinApp into a cloud based application catalog. Enable self-service activation for end users and allow IT to control how long applications will function when devices are offline.
Seamless Integration with Existing infrastructure
- Zero-footprint architecture – Plug ThinApp directly into existing IT tools without adding dedicated infrastructure.
- Integration with management tools – ThinApp creates standard MSI and EXE packages that can be delivered through existing tools from Microsoft, BMC Software, HP, CA Technologies, Novell, Symantec, LANDesk and others.
- Integrated application assignment in VMware View Manager 5 – Assign ThinApp packages to individual desktops or pools of desktops in View Manager to enable streamlined application deployment.
- Support for Active Directory authentication – Authorize ThinApp users from Active Directory groups, and prevent unauthorized users from executing ThinApp packages.
- Horizon Workspace integration – Manage ThinApp applications with Workspace with a single button click.