Whitepaper: Antivirus impact on VDI
The guys behind Project Virtual Reality Check have released a new whitepaper detailing the impact of antivirus solutions on VDI. This new white paper contains the test results of the VDI performance impact of the antivirus solutions from three leading vendors: McAfee, Microsoft and Symantec.
Some of the questions this whitepaper aims to address are:
- What is the performance/capacity impact of the most well-known AV solutions when used in a VDI environment?
- How do AV solutions designed for virtual environments with so called “off-loading” architectures compare with conventional solutions from a performance perspective?
- How does the disk IO impact compare with the different AV solutions, conventional and off-loading architectures?
- What is the performance impact in stateless desktop environments in comparison to stateful desktops?
- What possibilities are there for performance tuning and how does this affect the overall impact on performance impact?
An interesting finding published in the white paper is that antivirus off-loading architectures makes a big difference from a storage IO point of view, but not always from a session density point of view.