Windows PowerShell V2 Community Technology Preview 2
Windows PowerShell V2 Community Technology Preview 2 (CTP2) is available to download from the Microsoft site.
Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2 introduces several significant features to Windows PowerShell 1.0 and Windows PowerShell V2 CTP that extends its use, improves its usability, and allows you to control and manage the Windows environment more easily and comprehensively.
Use the Download link on this page to download the installation package for the Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2. Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2 introduces several significant features to Windows PowerShell 1.0 and Windows PowerShell V2 CTP that extends its use, improves its usability, and allows you to control and manage the Windows environment more easily and comprehensively.
- This software is a pre-release version and should not be deployed in a production environment. It will not work the way a final version of the software does. Features will change before final release.
- The goal of this CTP2 release is to provide a preview to the community on early thinking and direction on key V2 features and get early feedback on them.
- Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2 release is compatible with and replaces previous versions of Windows PowerShell. You must uninstall any previous version of Windows PowerShell to install the Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2 release.
- Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2 uses the execution policy setting from the previous installation, if present. The Windows PowerShell installer does not remove or change the execution policy when you uninstall Windows PowerShell.
- The Windows PowerShell V2 remoting features work correctly only on Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and on Windows Server 2008.
- Windows PowerShell background jobs (PsJobs) rely on the remoting features of Windows PowerShell V2. To use PsJobs, remoting must be enabled on Windows PowerShell, even if the PsJob runs only on the local computer.
Selected New Features in Windows PowerShell V2 CTP2
(Please refer to Release Notes and Help topics for more details)
- PowerShell Remoting
- Graphical PowerShell
- Restricted Runspaces
- Background Jobs
- Data Language
- Script Internationalization
- Script Debugging
- 51 New Cmdlets
- Parser Tokenizer API
- New PowerShell Hosting APIs
- Metadata APIs for Command and Parameters
After you install this product, you might have to restart your computer.
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
- This release of Windows PowerShell installs on x86 and x64 platforms of Windows XP-SP2, Windows Server 2003-SP2, Windows Vista-SP1, and Windows Server 2008.
- Requires .NET Framework Version 2.0
- Requires WinRM 2.0 CTP to use remoting features.
- Requires .NET Framework 3.0 to use Graphical PowerShell and Out-GridView.
- The Get-Event cmdlet works only on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.