The Upgrade Advisor is a tool that checks your system hardware and software to
see if it is ready for upgrade to Windows XP. If you run Upgrade Advisor while
you are connected to the Internet, and if your system needs updates that are
available on the Windows Update Web site, Upgrade Advisor will find and install
the updates for you.
- Download size: The Upgrade Advisor download is large (approximately 50
megabytes), and is recommended only for download over a high-speed Internet
connection, such as DSL or cable modem.
- Installation verbiage: The Upgrade Advisor is the same tool that is used to
scan your system for compatibility issues before you install Windows XP. For
that reason, some of the language in the tool may imply that you are actually
installing Windows XP.
- Upgrade scenarios: The Upgrade Advisor checks for upgrade eligibility to
Windows XP Professional only.
- International versions: Upgrade Advisor is available only for U.S. versions
It will generate a report on
- blocking issues: will prevent installation of XP such as not enough memory
or incompatible hw
- hw needing additional files : newer drivers need downloading
- sw not supported by XP : check for xp compatible versions or uninstall
Download : Microsoft’s Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
Upgrade advisor tests for XP Pro but if your PC will run XP Pro, it will work
with XP Home.