Try out HP’s Unified Sizer for Server Virtualization
Sizing a virtual environment sometimes seems like a combination of art and science. However, with enough data, sizing calculations can move quickly to the science side of the equation and be much more accurate, especially if you can get application performance details. That’s where HP’s Unified Sizer tool comes in. Once downloaded, you can install this product onto your Windows machine. When done, you will find a series of sizing utilities installed, much like the ones shown in the figure below.
From the product page:
The HP Unified Sizer for Server Virtualization is an automated, downloadable tool that provides quick and helpful sizing guidance for “best-fit” HP server and storage configurations running in VMware vSphere 5.0 or Microsoft Hyper-V R2 environments. The tool is intended to assist with the planning of virtual server deployment projects on HP server and storage technologies. It enables the user to quickly compare different solution configurations and produces a customizable server and storage solution complete with a detail Bill of Materials (BOM) that includes part numbers and prices.
The HP Unified Sizer for Server Virtualization allows users to create new solutions, open existing solutions, or use other types of performance data collecting tools, such as the Microsoft Assessment and Planning tool (MAP), to build rich virtualized configurations based on HP server and storage technologies. The tool allows rapid comparison of virtualized solutions using various HP server and storage choices and offers a choice of VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization technologies in a common tool.
Download and test this tool today. It looks pretty useful! See the sample results below. This was based on just a quick test, but it makes it easier to determine how to build an environment.
- Physical Host - Site 01 - Server1
- Server Type: ProLiant
- Server Platform: Rack
- Processor Vendor: Intel
- Server: ProLiant DL560 Gen8
- Number of Servers: 1
- Internal Storage Type: SFF SAS
- Processor Model: E5-4607 (CTO)
- Core: Hexa
- Processor Speed: 2.20 GHz
- Processor Count: 4
- Virtual Servers
- Virtual Server1: Legacy-server-18
- Virtual Server2: Legacy-server-15
- Virtual Server3: Legacy-server-11
- Virtual Server4: Legacy-server-10
- Virtual Server5: Legacy-server-9
- Virtual Server6: Legacy-server-14
- Virtual Server7: Legacy-server-17
- Virtual Server8: Legacy-server-16
- Virtual Server9: Legacy-server-4
- Virtual Server10: Legacy-server-8
- Virtual Server11: Legacy-server-6
- Virtual Server12: Legacy-server-1