Cisco Expands Borderless Networks Portfolio With New Products Across Switching, Routing, Security and Mobility
SAN JOSE, Calif. - October 5, 2010 - Cisco announced today new products and services across all the functional elements of its Borderless Network architecture - the switching, routing, security and wireless portfolios. Notable additions include the highest-performing and high-density Cisco® Catalyst® switch, Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance firewall and compact Cisco ASR 1000 Series router in their classes; new entry-level 802.11n wireless access points for smaller businesses; and new and enhanced smart-services offerings.
The new products and professional and technical services Cisco announced today extend the company's Borderless Networks portfolio to address the growing need for high-performance, highly reliable and highly secure application delivery from a smaller number of consolidated data centers to a growing number of wired and wireless endpoints, while optimizing overall resource utilization and footprint.
High-Performance and High-Density Innovations:
- The Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series switch, the industry's most widely deployed modular platform, raises the bar in performance for campus switching by delivering 848 gigabits per second of system bandwidth and the highest density of 384 Power over Ethernet Plus (PoEP)-capable ports. With the new Supervisor Engine 7-E , the Catalyst 4500E also drives market transitions from 1G Fiber to 10G Fiber as a price/performance aggregation switch with 100 ports at 10G. Fully loaded with hardware-accelerated Borderless Network Services like Cisco Medianet, CiscoEnergyWise, and Cisco TrustSec, it is now powered by Cisco IOS® XE Software, enabling the delivery of third-party services. The Catalyst 4500E delivers best-in-class access resiliency with sub-10-millisecond supervisor failover utilizing the In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) functionality and enriched application visibility with Cisco IOS Flexible NetFlow. The new switch can provide investment protection with backward and forward compatibility.
- The Cisco ASA 5585-X Adaptive Security Appliance deliversMultiScale performance in a compact two-rack-unit form factor. The ASA 5585-X provides new levels of speed and scale, supporting 20 Gbps of multiprotocol throughput and 35Gbps of large packet throughput of maximum firewall performance, 10,000 VPN connections, 350,000 connections per second and 8 million total connections, along with industry-leading threat defense from Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) and always-on remote access using Cisco AnyConnect. Ideal for mission-critical data centers, it provides a security system that sets the bar for performance with eight times the performance density of its competitors.
- The Cisco ASR 1001 router is the industry's most compact edge routing solution at one rack unit and the highest-performance router for its size. It delivers up to 5Gbps performance throughput with services turned on, enabling deployment agility in high-end enterprise branch, WAN edge and managed services environments. The Cisco ASR 1001 supports an on-demand performance upgrade from 2.5Gbps to 5Gbps as well as incremental services on-demand.
- The Cisco Aironet® 1040 Series Access Point expands Cisco's mobility portfolio and accelerates the adoption of 802.11n by providing enterprise performance with an entry-level price, reduced operational complexity and a competitive feature set.
End-User Security and Energy-Saving Enhancements:
- Cisco AnyConnect 3.0 further expands network endpoint capabilities with new IPsec IKEv2 support in addition to Secure Sockets Layer and Datagram Transport Layer Security, an integrated 802.1X supplicant, and 802.1AE MACSec support. This new release of AnyConnect also supports hybrid secure mobility deployments by extending protection to mobile workers through ScanSafe cloud security services as well as on-premises Web security appliances. Finally, industry adoption for AnyConnect continues at a rapid pace with support for Apple OSX, Apple iOS, Windows 7, and additional mobile platforms.
- Cisco EnergyWise can deliver even more cost savings by rapidly growing Cisco Developer Network partnerships to include APC by Schneider Electric, a leading data center physical infrastructure provider, as well as smart power-distribution-unit manufacturers including Cyber Switching, Raritan, Server Technology and WTI. This broadens the reach of EnergyWise to include clientless devices like printers, copy machines and digital media displays, managed at the plug level, and to the data center, providing a solution that monitors the power usage for all the devices in the data center racks.
Deployment and Optimization Innovations:
- SBA Enterprise, a series of prescriptive blueprints to help simplify a phased approach to planning and deployment, lets customers with up to 10,000 connected devices deploy Borderless Networks using Cisco tested and validated solutions.
- CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution 4.0 provides a comprehensive and fully integrated management tool with intuitive work centers to automate workflows and ease deployment for Borderless Network services such as Cisco EnergyWise and Cisco TrustSec, in addition to simplifying monitoring and troubleshooting the network.
- Cisco is also announcing new and enhanced smart services to help customers realize the full value of their network investments. The new Cisco Smart Net Total Care Service, which scales to large enterprises, provides IT professionals the unique ability to see exactly what is going on in their networks, allowing them to increase operational efficiency, reduce risk, and lower support costs on a proactive basis. For mid-market customers, Cisco is significantly expanding the scope of Smart Care, which combines complementary strengths of Cisco Services and its certified partners, to cover more products and much larger networks, and deliver proactive, network-level support.
Cisco Introduces Virtualization and Velocity Innovations to Enhance Resilience and User Experience of Cloud-Based Applications
As businesses deliver applications to an exploding number of intelligent mobile devices in a variety of locations, they need to tie together data centers, networks and endpoints into an integrated system that can deliver high-quality multimedia data without sacrificing performance. Application Velocity does exactly that, introducing a unique set of innovations on the Cisco Integrated Services Router Generation 2 platform that enable an optimal user experience with any application, at any time, and on any device. It does so by embedding application-aware technologies into the network that connect the data-center-hosted applications to end-user devices. With Application Velocity, organizations' information technology departments are able to meet or exceed business service-level agreements while deploying innovative cloud-based services and new technologies like virtual desktops or consolidating their data centers.
Application Velocity supports greater application visibility and control, pervasive availability of application acceleration and WAN optimization with real-time adaptability, and greater application reliability. Also available are Cisco professional services to help organizations plan, build and run secure, highly scalable solutions to accelerate deployment of Application Velocity network services. In this release Cisco introduces a number of new Application Velocity technologies that are designed to boost application experience, network survivability and consistent Cisco data center and end-user solutions.
- Cisco WAAS Express is a new WAN optimization solution based on Cisco IOS® Software and integrated into the Cisco ISR G2. It offers a cost-effective alternative for service providers' managed services and deployments by small and medium-sized businesses. By supporting TCP optimization and payload compression and eliminating data redundancy, Cisco WAAS Express doubles the bandwidth availability and increases application performance. Its ease of deployment and on-demand availability can significantly reduce operational expenses.
- Cisco WAAS on the ISR G2 Services-Ready Engine (SRE) provides router-integrated, on-demand application acceleration and WAN optimization services. WAAS on SRE helps enterprise branch offices optimize resource-intensive applications. It is particularly helpful with delay-sensitive applications such as video and allows IT departments to achieve better WAN link utilization.
- Cisco Unified Communications System Express extends the Cisco Unified Computing System architecture from the data center to the branch to provide industry-leading end-to-end virtualization. Cisco UCS Express allows customers to run VMware vSphere Hypervisor and Microsoft Windows Server on the ISR G2 SRE module without requiring a separate server. Cisco UCS Express also supports application hosting and survivability for branch offices in WAN failure scenarios and offers consistent operational management with the Cisco Unified Computing System to reduce overall infrastructure costs.
To attend today's live online event where Cisco will highlight both announcements, click here