BURLINGTON, Mass. – May 12, 2015 – Unitrends, a leader in enterprise-level cloud recovery, today released the public beta version of Unitrends Free™, a new addition to the company’s virtual data protection software family. Unitrends Free is the first free backup solution specifically designed for IT professionals seeking cost-effective protection for home labs, early-stage virtualization projects and small environments. The powerful software delivers true production-ready capabilities not currently available in other free virtual backup tools.
“The Unitrends Free experience is flawless and easy,” said Bill Damron, vice president at A-1 Limousine Inc. “You usually don’t come across a free product that is both straightforward and fully functional, not to mention, one that features a beautifully designed, intuitive user interface. The software enables impeccable recovery at the file-, instant- and virtual machine-levels, and I am also impressed with how smooth Unitrends has made the restore process.”
Features in Unitrends Free include:
- Free vSphere and Hyper-V Backup for Unlimited Virtual Machines (VMs) and Sockets. Unlike other tools that restrict usage by number of VMs or sockets, Unitrends Free provides hypervisor-level protection for up to 1 terabyte (TB) of data.
- Instant VM Recovery. Unitrends Free makes it possible to quickly run a VM directly from a backup to reduce downtime. Instant recovery also allows users to spin up copies of their VMs for recovery verification, testing and development.
- Automated Daily Scheduling. The product features “set it and forget it” scheduling with daily recovery points to keep a user’s system protected at all times – even when no one is around.
- Fast, Incremental Forever Backups. Unitrends Free delivers changed-block tracking and incremental forever backups to ensure that backups complete rapidly every day – without using a lot of storage.
- Cloud Integration. Users can also take advantage of low cost long-term storage via integration with third-party clouds such as Google Cloud Storage, Google Nearline and Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3).
- Unitrends Community Integration. Users benefit from limitless support provided by the Unitrends Community. Directly integrated into the Unitrends Free user interface, IT professionals can search the forum and collaborate to help one another, while also earning attractive rewards.
“We’ve been utilizing a paid version of a competing virtual backup tool, and it’s clunky, slow and unnecessarily complex – on the contrary, Unitrends Free is fast, responsive and is not resource-intensive,” commented Darrin Molloy, health computer systems engineer at Peter Christensen Health Center. “Unitrends has significantly raised the bar for simplicity of use for a backup and recovery product overall, let alone for a free version! With a few simple clicks, you can get peace of mind that your data is protected.”
With Unitrends Free, the company is answering the market’s call for more robust, no-cost data protection with fewer restrictions – and it’s backed by a new Unitrends community forum. IT professionals can now capitalize on free, award-winning capabilities enjoyed by existing Unitrends customers, as well as easily exchange ideas, get technical support and drive dialogue on effective methods for backup, archiving, instant recovery and disaster recovery.
“Unitrends Free couples enterprise-class capabilities not found in other free tools with refreshingly uncomplicated navigation and performance monitoring capabilities. We are pleased to offer individuals and organizations with smaller environments or limited budgets the high-caliber data protection they too deserve,” said Kevin Weiss, Unitrends’ president and chief executive officer. “With the Unitrends Community rallying behind the product, fellow users can also tap each other’s expertise and experiences to get the most out of Unitrends Free virtual backup and recovery.”
The beta version of Unitrends Free is available now. In celebration of the launch, one lucky user will win a $1,500 Visa Giftcard. To download the software and obtain more details regarding the sweepstakes, please visit: http://www.UnitrendsFree.com.
Unitrends delivers award-winning business recovery solutions for any IT environment. The company’s portfolio of virtual, physical and cloud solutions provides adaptive protection for organizations globally. To address the complexities facing today’s modern data center, Unitrends delivers end-to-end protection and instant recovery of all virtual and physical assets as well as automated disaster recovery testing built for virtualization. With the industry’s lowest total cost of ownership, Unitrends’ offerings are backed by a customer support team that consistently achieves a 98 percent satisfaction rating. Unitrends’ solutions are also sold through a community of thousands of leading technology partners, service providers and resellers worldwide. Visit www.unitrends.com.