Microsoft recently released User Experience Virtualization. With UE-V nothing roams unless specifically included in templates. A template is an XML file that describes where settings are stored in the file system and in the registry. Typically one template per application or Windows component is used.
UE-V comes with the following ready-to-use templates:
- Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Project, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint Workspace, InfoPath)
- Internet Explorer 9 and 10 (favorites, home page, tabs and toolbars)
- Windows applications (Calculator, Notepad, Wordpad)
- Themes (desktop theme including background, color, sounds and screen saver)
- Ease of access (accessibility and input settings)
Helge Klien put together a nice article walking you trough this template process and points out some "gotchas" along the way.