In an article titled Tuning Virtual PC Performance on WindowsNetworking.com, I described some tips for improving the performance of Virtual PC. Here's stilll another tip for you:
- Start your virtual machine (VM).
- Defragment the drive within the VM.
- Select CD --> Capture ISO Image --> browse to C:/Program Files/Microsoft Virtual PC/Virtual Machine Additions/ --> select Virtual Disk Precompactor.iso --> OK --> Yes
- Once pre-compacting is complete, select CD --> Release ISO Image, and then shut down your VM.
- Finally, in the Virtual PC console, select File --> Virtual Disk Wizard --> Next --> Edit an existing virtual disk --> browse to your .vhd --> Next --> Compact it --> Replace the original file --> Next --> Finish --> go for coffee 🙂