Citrix Releases XenClient 2.1
During Citrix Synergy Barcelona, Citrix announced the availability of XenClient 2.1. XenClient is a bare-metal client hypervisor that runs on client-grade hardware which allows IT administrators to decouple the client operating system from the hardware. This decoupling provides many advantages including data center synchronization, lock down, hardware independence, etc.
Some of the new features of XenClient 2.1 include:
- Simplified Windows image management with dynamic layering. With this new feature, an IT admin can now simply apply the changes they want to a single image in the datacenter and have it automatically sent out to their XenClient devices.
- Localization allows end users around the globe to experience a more engaging and familiar experience when using the product. This release introduces client side support for German, French, Spanish, Japanese and Simplified Chinese languages.
- Dynamic image assembly allows the Synchronizer for XenClient to deliver a layered image that is dynamically assembled at runtime on a local XenClient system. This technology allows for single image management in the datacenter of a dynamic local virtual desktop running on many XenClient systems.
- Delta image updates allows the Synchronizer for XenClient to intelligently deliver only the changes between Windows image versions to a XenClient system. This system also allows administrators to roll forward multiple versions at a time. This ensures that dynamic local virtual desktops on XenClient endpoints are moved to the latest administrator defined Windows desktop automatically and efficiently.
- Automatize image lock down will ensure that only IT approved changes and IT approved applications are installed on a dynamic local virtual desktop image running on XenClient. User changes outside of their user data and user profile are automatically purged by the system ensuring a clean, consistent environment on every boot.
- Self-service installation allows end users the flexibility to customize their environments by installing IT approved applications via Citrix Receiver for Windows. Citrix Receiver provides users with an integrated, easy-to-use storefront for Windows, web and SaaS applications.