Debate: Hyper-V or VMware
Have you heard of the ZDNet debate series? This is where ZDNet hosts a virtual debate between 2 heavy-hitters. On March 15th, ZDNet hosted a debate between Microsoft and VMware about their server virtualization products. The debaters were Jason Perlow (for Microsoft Hyper-V) and Ken Hess (for VMware). The moderator was Jason Hiner and the questions included things like:
- Why hasn't Hyper-V already crushed VMware?
- What are the functionality differences between Hyper-V and VMware? Is there true feature parity?
- Are Citrix and Red Hat going to be major players in the data center over the next 2-4 years or is this destined to turn into a two-horse race?
- Does Hyper-V really save money?
- Private cloud.
- The Novell Netware comparison.
- And more...
In the end, the ZDNet gave VMware the win for best argument, but the audience gave the win to Microsoft overall (barely).